May 16, 2013

CCMC252!

I just love the colors for our color challenge at Create with Connie & Mary this week. Soft yet striking together. So Saffron, Sahara Sand and Soft Suede:


It's that time of year now that you'll start seeing lots of graduation cards. Dave and I actually received a graduation announcement for a relative that lives in Tennessee and they graduate on May 17th. That's almost a whole month earlier than us here in Maine. Wow!

So here is my graduation card for you today:


I saw something similar on Pinterest for the top of the card and fell in love with it. I added my own twist to the bottom of the card. I'm so happy to say that both stamp sets I am using today will be carrying over to the new catalog. Yippee!

Here is a close-up of the bottom of the card. I'll even show you how I made my square windows so perfectly aligned with a little tip!


And the tassel made from Soft Suede Baker's Twine? Yes, I dyed it to match the card! All I did was use an empty embellishment container and filled it half-full with water and added about 12 drops of Soft Suede Re-inker.

How did I create my tassel? I used a cardboard piece 1 1/2" wide and wrapped the White Baker's Twine around it 12 times. I slipped a longer piece of twine under the top layer of twine on my cardboard and pulled it to the very top and tied a double-knot. I then used my Paper Snips and cut the opposite end of the Baker's Twine all the way across. The last step was to take another piece of Baker's Twine and tie it around the whole tassel about 1/2" from the top string and tied it off snuggly. Wrap the tassel around the card front and tie off. I added a few Mini Glue Dots under the top of the tassel to hold it in place:


Here is how I created the 4 evenly spaced windows at the bottom of my card. Using scrap paper and the 1 1/4" Square Punch, cut (4) scraps. Using temporary glue, glue the (4) squares to the bottom of your card front as shown, making sure all the squares are evenly spaced. Mine 2 squares on the end stuck out a little. I planned it this way:


Using your square punch, align the punch over each square and cut. The squares of scrap paper serve as guides:


Voila! Perfectly cut and aligned squares!


Glue the numbered squares to the back of each window by using Tombow Multipurpose Glue!

This card was mailed to Tennessee last week and I would like to say congrats to Aaron for his accomplishment and good luck!

Stampin' Up! Supplies:
  • Stamps: Pure Gumption, Memorable Moments
  • Inks: Soft Suede
  • Cardstock: Soft Suede, Sahara Sand, So Saffron
  • Accessories: White Baker's Twine
  • Tools: 1 1/4" Square Punch, Mini Glue Dots, Paper Snips
  • Misc: Scrap Paper, Cardboard
Thanks for stopping by to visit!


debbiesdesigns2009@gmail.com

18 comments:

  1. Very clever! What a great graduation card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the tassel!! Aren't you so clever!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet. I remember making tassels as a kid, it all came back to me once I got going!

      Delete
  3. Great graduation card! Love the tassel! And thanks for sharing your wonderful tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word, Deb! This is such a cool card! I love the angled graduation cap and tassel. Thanks for giving us the how to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa. So glad my mom or someone showed me how to make tassels way back when. It came in handy!

      Delete
  5. Debbie---
    Love the tassel and the use of the year. I have to make a graduation card and you've inspired me to use the year on the front. Thanks for the insiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck Mary and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful graduation card!!! Love the personalization of the year, too! Great job with the color challenge this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love everything about this card! My son is graduating this year - I will be CASING this card for sure with all the parties he will be going to! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats Melissa to you and your son. Let the partying begin! Thanks!

      Delete
  8. Fantastic card! I love how you did the squares on the bottom...so clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful card and fabulous tips! I love the tassel!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today. I appreciate your comments!