June 8, 2012

Free Friday's-Happy Graduation Card!

Happy Graduation to all graduating seniors of 2012! Most of the high school graduations in our area are taking place tonight. I thought I would share a card I viewed on Pinterest. Unfortunately whomever created the card did not have a watermark on the photo and whomever posted it to Pinterest didn't give the designer proper credit. It is always common courtesy that whenever you copy someone's creation, whether it is copied 100% or changed to your liking, to give that person proper credit by mentioning their name. If you happen to be the designer of the beautiful graduation card, please let me know so I can add your name to my post.

Here is the photo of the graduation cap & gown card:


Laying flat:


Open view of card and of course I would add more than a dollar bill inside. All I had to stuff in there for a photo was a dollar bill! 

I'm not sure if the original creator added Velcro but it keeps the card closed:


Closer view of the half-cut Velcro dot:


And the final result:

What a cute way to present someone with cash! Here are the measurements if you are interested in creating one of these:
  • Cap: 5 1/2" x 5 1/2", score at 1 1/4" on all 4 sides. Fold all flaps under and glue in place to form a 2 1/2" square. Add a tassel, cardstock button and sentiment as you like.
  • Gown: 7 1/2" x 6 1/2", score on the 7 1/2" side at 3/4"' 2 1/4", 5 1/4", 6 3/4". Fold the 2 1/4" &  5 1/4" score lines towards the center. Fold the 3/4" & 6 3/4" score lines away from the center to form the flaps.
  • Glue the cap to the left-hand side of the card portion by positioning the cap diagonally. I also added a dot of glue under the flap sitting under the cap so the flap stays flat. 
  • Add a half-cut piece of Velcro under the cap on the right-hand side.
  • For the inside money pocket, I cut a piece of cardstock 2 7/8" x 2". I used the Scallop Trim Punch on one long side and added Tombow Multipurpose Glue very thinly to 3 sides and pressed in place.
  • Add cash to inside pocket!


Follow Me on Pinterest

19 comments:

  1. Love this card Debbie. You don't see many cards that are specifically for cash; great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute card. I was wondering why you fold under 1 1/4 on all sides of the cap. Why not just cute a 2 1/2 square?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kate, the reason is that I wanted the cap to be quite sturdy and not be easily bent. The way I completed my cap, the cardstock is doubled up with 2 layers and no seams showing on the sides as they are all tucked underneath. Hope that makes sense. You can also do it the way you are mentioning also but I find it too flimsy when repeatedly opening and closing the card.

      Delete
  3. I made one that is a spring card-from SCS, but I needed another idea for a grad card that holds money.
    Thanks for posting this, I like things that are a bit different :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for graduation cash! TFS

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOve it!!!!!

    rosiemini@gmail.com
    www.scraplovingminis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bardzo mi się podoba ta praca, jest na czym oko zawiesić........brawo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Debbie...this is fabulous - the most different one I've seen, incorporating the gown too. Thank you for sharing this great design and tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a very unique and fun card! I love that it has the entire gown. I'm adding this to my cards to make! Thanks for the wonderful inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this unique card! Our graduations are over for this year, but we will have several next year. Hopefully, I will remember that I pinned this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome card! I agree that this is certainly unique and arguably the best one out there.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME card, I will be making this card for a graduation party this weekend...

    Thanks,
    Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you show a tutorial on how the hat is made? Love this idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, I don't have a tutorial. If you follow the directions and score all four sides of the cardstock and then fold on the score lines. If you look at the next-to-last photo, the cap is glued to one side of the card only and I added velcro to keep the card closed. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  13. Thanks Debbie for this. Made it for 2 grans in each of their colors. So simple and easy if your instructions are followed. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today. I appreciate your comments!