February 9, 2012

CCMC-188

The sketch challenge at Create with Connie & Mary was definitely a challenge for me this week. The banner part of the sketch threw me off a little as I wasn't sure what to use for that layer. Take a peek for yourself:


My Monochromatic Card:


I knew in my head how I wanted to create the background and once I added the scalloped piece from the "Pennants Die", then I decided to stick to "Basic Black" and "Very Vanilla" for colors:


For the "banner" I used 1 1/4" Striped Grosgrain Ribbon. I cut both ends to resemble a banner. I then used a button and thread a smaller piece of 1/8" Taffeta Ribbon through the button holes and tied the ribbon and button around the larger piece of ribbon:

I used Sticky Strip to glue the ribbon in place. I really like how this card turned out even though I wasn't sure which direction I was headed in. Here are all the Stampin' Up! supplies I used on the card:

Supplies:
  • Cardstock: Basic Black, Very Vanilla
  • DSP: Newsprint
  • Accessories: Neutral Buttons, 1/8" Taffeta Ribbon in Basic Black, 1 1/4" Striped Grosgrain Ribbon in Basic Black
  • Tools: Scallop Circle Punch, Pennant Die, Ribbon Punch, Mini Glue Dots, Sticky Strip
  • Stamps: Elements of Style
  • Inks: Jet Black StazOn


11 comments:

  1. Debbie, I really love the black and white elegance of this card and the ribbon treatment! Great job with the sketch this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woo Hoo! I can actually leave a comment this week...weird how it is on and off like that. Just know that I want to leave a comment sometimes, but can't.

    I love the black/vanilla combo on this card. It's classic and always in style. I also love how you did the ribbon treatment! How clever! I always feel like that ribbon is so big and overwhelming, but tied with the button it is much more subtle. Love the matching "baby" button and ribbon on the sentiment. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous card, I love black with Very Vanilla, it's a lot more striking than black and white, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and elegant card! I always love the black and white (or vanilla) combo! And I love the way you did your ribbon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool design..monochromatic is so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! I've been making my own DSP lately, too. It works so well with that stamp set.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love this! The ribbon is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very classy, Debbie! I love your ribbon treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty! I love the monochromatic color combo and the ribbon is the perfect banner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty and great take on the sketch! Love the elegance of the black and vanilla!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous card Debbie! This color combination is so elegant and I love the pairing of that stamp set with the newspirnt!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today. I appreciate your comments!