November 20, 2011

Welcome Baby Mikayla Rae!

We have a new addition to our ever-growing family. My niece Jeanie gave birth to Mikayla Rae on October 29th. Three babies have been born this year in the Beaulieu family. My parents are now great-grandparents to 7 great-grandchildren. We will be traveling to visit this week and hopefully will get a glimpse of all the new babies. Samuel Adam was born on August 15th and I haven't seen him in person yet either!

I made a gift bag using a craft bag I had in my stash that was given to me. I thought I would decorate the bag and create a matching card for Mikayla's gifts:


I kept both projects simple as I also had 2 classes to prepare for. This is the gift bag:


I made a little topper from the 2011-2013 In Color Designer Series Paper in Calypso Coral, to slide through the handles to keep the bag closed. I scored a 9" x 6" piece of DSP in half at 3". I measured using a pencil, the location of the handles and cut a 1/4" wide slot in the score line. I was able to slide the DSP over the handles. By tying two bows on the bottoms of each handle, the topper stays in place:



The bottom of the topper was punched using the Scallop Trim Border Punch.

The stamped image is from a single stamp from the "A la Carte" selections on pages 18-20 of the Idea Book & Catalog. If you are new to stamping, this is a great way to purchase single stamps. This one is called "Bringing Baby" and inked with StazOn Jet Black Ink and I used a Blender Pen and Watercolor Crayons to add color:

I stamped the sentiment from Friendly Phrases in StazOn Jet Black Ink and cut the ends to look like a banner. Both layers are topped over Pool Party Cardstock. Below is a diagram I created to show you how I cut the hole for the topper:

I created the card with the same supplies to match the gift bag:

What I truly love about Stampin' Up! is all the coordinating supplies our catalog carries. Notice how the 3/8" Ruffled Pool Party Ribbon matches the Pool Party Cardstock? Perfect match!

Again, I colored the stamped image using a Blender Pen and Watercolor Crayons. It's hard to capture in the photo but the stork is detailed in "pink" and the whole image is outlined in a light blue color to make it "pop":

Project supplies:
  • Cardstock: Whisper White, Pool Party
  • DSP: In Color Pattern Paper Pack (Calypso Coral)
  • Inks: StazOn Jet Black, Watercolor Crayons
  • Tools: Blender Pen, Scallop Trim Punch, 1 1/4" Circle Punch
  • Accessories: 3/8" Ruffled Pool Party Ribbon
  • Stamps: Teeny Tiny Wishes, Friendly Phrases, Bringing Baby
This is a photo of Mikayla Rae that was taken on her way home from the hospital. I couldn't believe my niece Jeanie delivered one day and home the next, unbelievable:



This is a photo of Samuel Adam that my niece Amy posted from the hospital on the day he was born. What a cutie he is:



Happy Stampin'!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new additions to the family. Lovely gift bag & card; I like the idea of the topper on the bag. TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your gift bag and card are almost as adorable and beautiful as those babies! Congrats to your family!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for visiting me today. I appreciate your comments!