June 1, 2011

Clouds Stencil Tutorial

I've had a few requests to show how I created my clouds in the card below:



Supplies Needed:
  • Sponge Dauber
  • Ink (sky color)
  • Cardstock
  • 1 3/4" Scallop Circle Punch
Cut (1) of the Scallop Circle Punch:

 
Place your Scallop Circle Stencil Piece on your cardstock. Using your Sponge Dauber and choice of ink, dip Sponge Dauber into ink. Pounce once on scrap paper to remove a little of the ink (this way you don't end up with a circle of color). Do this each time you ink up your dauber.

Hold your stencil in place with one hand and carefully and lightly swirl your ink around the top of your stencil. I usually swirl in a circular motion. Notice how I only inked the top of my stencil:


Move your stencil over where you want your clouds showing and follow the same sponging technique:



Keep moving your stencil piece. If you want lots of clouds, move the stencil close to the already stenciled clouds:


TIP: Apply less ink on the sides as you swirl so that the middle of your cloud appears darker:


I sometimes stamp my images first and work my clouds around the image or I stamp the images later once my clouds are complete. It all depends on what I am using for stamp images.

For the card below, I stamped the images first and worked my clouds around the image:


And for this card, I stenciled my clouds first then completed the other layers:


Practice on scrap paper first. Good luck!

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tutorial Debbie...love your blog and following you now...
    check out my blog if you get a chance....
    www.bethfesperman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you did this tutorial in 2011 but I'm only just catching up on all the places on your site :-))
    Thank you for this very simply explained method. No fancy bits or difficult methods.
    Great, thank you so very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you found this helpful. Thank you so much for your kind words!

      Delete
  3. this is a cool technique...i will have to try this! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary Jo! It's so easy and you'll love it!

      Delete
  4. Just making a card for my great-grandson who has turned 4. I used airplane stamps and remembered you had a card with the clouds and a tutorial to make them. Thanks so much! Going to add them to the card...hope it works:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet this card with the airplane will look awesome with the clouds Jean. So glad you remembered seeing it on my blog. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Thanks so much for visiting me today. I appreciate your comments!